Sunday, October 5, 2014

Religion: You And Your 'Dated' Beliefs

Today was Conference Sunday(Of the General sort.  I'm sure you understand by the time you're actually reading this.)

Over this past week, I've had the opportunity to ponder my own beliefs in a Higher Being and I've also seen quite a few people who think I'm stupid for what I believe.

I'm fairly certain at this point that you're well versed in my beliefs so, I won't waste too many words on that specific area. What I wanted to talk to you about today is living in a world that doesn't want to believe.

Now, I'm strictly speaking about the immediate world. In America, the loudest voices say that only small minded fools believe in some mystical man in the clouds. The educated people know that science is the root of everything and if you even doubt that being true, you are stupid and you don't deserve to breathe American air.

Note that I said 'the loudest voices.' Not everyone believes this. Sure, there are plenty of people who believe completely in science over religion, plenty of people who don't believe in anything they can't see, and some people who simply don't believe in anything at all.

I was flipping through my Facebook the other day (A social media website, one I'm not entirely sure will be around when you're old enough to dabble in social media) and stumbled on a post that depicted extremist beliefs in a Christian tone. I didn't agree with what the picture said, but that wasn't what stood out to me. What stood out was reading the comments on this post, full of hate and loathing, disdain for the idiots that could believe in a God.

Like, OMG, it's 2014, get with the times and get your head out of your butt. Religion is SOOOOO yesterday.

I'm sure I'll touch on PLENTY of issues that the loudest voices scream and rant about but those are topics to save for another day.

Apparently, it's okay to believe in God as long as you're not religious. It's okay to have no religion. It's okay to have an unorthodox religion because, yay, your rights are protected! But if you're in my boat, a Christian, an LDS Christian at that, who has a firm set of standards and beliefs that I stand by, well, you're suddenly public enemy number one, the loudest voices say.

I won't lie. Sometimes, it's hard to be the one to make unpopular decisions or make stances that make others look at me differently because of what I feel in my heart. Sometimes it's hard to see comments from complete strangers who are trying to educate the ignorant sheep who follow religion just to be in controlled masses. Sometimes, my faith waivers and I wonder where I really stand.

Thank God I have enough of a testimony to be able to look at my life, where I came from, where I'm going, and understand that if I changed who I was, or if I DIDN'T change who I was, the different path I would be on would leave me in an unhappy place.

My faith kept me from succumbing to depression a few times. If I didn't have faith that I would be taken care of if I did what I needed to do to protect myself and exercise my faith with others, I don't really know if I would be here to write this letter today. And that would have been no one's fault but my own.

I don't know how your world will treat you for believing what you will, but I hope that, if you are faced with what I see every day, you'll have a support system, like I do, that makes the negative easy to ignore.

The people I work with know my beliefs and, whether they agree or not, they accept me for who I am because I let my beliefs shine through in the best possible way. If you claim to believe in loving others and acceptance, then you had better be able to walk the walk. I may be a cynical grouch toward humanity, but for people who are fixtures in my life, be it at work or elsewhere, I love them for everything they are.

I love them for their differences and I can feel the same from them. I would never dream of throwing away potential friendships just because someone believes differently and I swear, I hope you feel the same. If I could do ONE thing correctly as a parent, I want you to know, appreciate, and value others for everything they are. Love them in spite of perceived flaws, allow them to make their own choices. Support what you can but don't let misconceptions or misunderstanding change how you treat them.

Would you want someone to do that to you? Or do you want someone who is willing to be a friend, even if they disagree with you on religion or even standards? Of course, don't let anyone change your standards, stand by what you believe, but don't discount the value of a person because they drink while you don't. Don't hate someone for deciding that God isn't important to them when He is to you. Don't judge someone harshly for a difference in lifestyle.

I promise, you'll find that it's much easier to hold your head high and say 'Yeah, I believe that. These are my standards.' Just let yourself be surrounded by positive people, educate yourself on the beliefs of others, respect, and love. If you can do those four things, you'll find it's much easier to have people around who will do the same for you, even if they don't fully understand.

Figure out what you believe. Build a testimony of something. I will teach you what I know but, ultimately, the choice will be yours. All I can do is love you, respect you, educate you to the best of my ability, and share my standards. I'll fall, I'll have some failures, and so will you. But, to show what I feel in my heart, just having you will give me the best reason to be a good example and 'practice what I preach.'

As for the others, I hope to give you a system of support with the rest of your family and your friends, so that I can help allow you some comfort when you see mindless attacking of your beliefs.

Hmm. I feel like I rambled but I think I said everything I wanted to.

Treat others well, love them, be a good example, respect them. And encourage me to do the same! It'll make life so much easier for everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment